Filing Your Taxes

Government benefits

These are some of the benefits you could be eligible for if you file your taxes:

  • Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)
  • Working Income Tax Benefit
  • National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) GST/HST Rebate
  • Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) Canada Learning Bond (CLB)
  • Child Disability Benefit

Where do I get the tax forms?

  • Once you start filing taxes, your income tax forms come in the mail each year from the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Between February and May each year, you can get them at the post office, from a Service Canada location, or online from the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • More and more people use software that allows them to do the forms on their computers.

How do I get help with doing my taxes?

  • If you’re low on income, you can get free help with doing your taxes at a community tax clinic.
  • Look in the Resources section to find a Community Volunteer Tax Preparation program near you.
  • If you have problems with your taxes, it is best to call the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Never sign a blank tax return.

Deductions and credits

  • These are amounts that will lower the amount of income you must pay tax on.
  • Deductions include things like child care expenses and transit passes and you must keep your receipts for these.
  • The tax return form also has credits.
  • This is an amount you can deduct from the tax you owe. For example, if your employer has been taking taxes out of your pay all year, those taxes are a credit on your tax return.
  • When you subtract your tax credits and deductions from your gross income, you find out if you owe taxes or if you will receive a refund.

Keeping records to use when you file your return

It is important to keep all papers that support your income tax return. Here are some examples of things you should keep:

  • Information slips from your employer (T4)
  • Information slips from the bank (T5)
  • Post secondary education information slips (T2202A)
  • Any tax-related papers you receive from the government
  • If you are self employed, keep a record of your income and all expenses paid to create that income
  • Receipts for employment expenses: You can claim expenses if you have to spend your own money for equipment, tools, and supplies to do your work, and your employer does not reimburse you (pay you back)
  • Union or professional dues (money you pay to be a member)
  • Public transit monthly passes
  • Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) contribution slips
  • Child care receipts
  • Moving expenses, if you moved to be at least 40 km closer to work (or to college or university if you are a student)
  • Medical expenses (such as prescription medicine, dentist, glasses, private health insurance)
  • Receipts for children’s sports or arts activities
  • Receipts for income tax you paid in another country
  • Receipts for donations to Canadian charities or Canadian political parties
  • There may be other slips and receipts you need to keep to support your income tax return. Ask for advice from your local Community Tax Preparation Volunteer or a tax professional.

Getting your Notice of Assessment

After you file your taxes, you will receive a Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency. The notice confirms your tax amounts and explains any changes the government made to your return.
If you have questions about this notice, call the Canada Revenue Agency toll-free: 1-800-959-8281

Getting a refund

You can receive a refund by direct deposit to your bank account or by cheque in the mail. Follow the instructions on your tax return to set up the way you want to receive your refund.

Remember: If you move, you must inform the Canada Revenue Agency so you will still get your refund!


Some businesses advertise ‘instant refunds’ when they do your tax return. These are not really refunds. They are a kind of loan. They can also come with high fees and NO guarantee that the refund amount is

November 4, 2014
© My Money Works. All Rights Reserved.